Using OBS for your video feed and an external audio device(s) on Whatnot
As a live seller, you can use OBS (Open Broadcast Software) to stream video from a computer to your live show. You can also select an independent audio source when starting your show from the web.
For more information and setup instructions, please follow the steps in this instructional video:
Audio sources are not provided from within OBS. Your audio source will be selected from the "My Livestreams" section of your profile at whatnot.com. A more advanced audio setup tutorial for using multiple audio sources will be provided here soon.
Troubleshooting Tips & Tricks:
- Audio will not be heard when viewing your livestream on the webpage you’re streaming from, or from your own account on the app. To test your audio from the web, open a new browser window (not a tab) with the stream link. Keep in mind that if you’re capturing desktop or computer audio sources, this will cause a feedback loop.
- To test your audio from the app, you’ll need to log into a different account than the one you’re streaming from and view the stream back from there. You can share the link from a test mode stream with your other account. On the account you’re streaming from, your show on the app becomes a controller for the stream only, with no audio or video available.
- Please make sure Google Chrome is updated to the most recent build. You must clear your cache and fully relaunch Google Chrome before going live each time. If the audio and video source dialogue fails to pop up when clicking the “Start Streaming” button, please click “Enable Test Mode” and refresh the page, followed by “Disable Test Mode”, then refreshing the “My Livestreams” page again. The audio and video source dialogue should now pop up.
- Please note that starting and ending a stream in test mode may remove the stream from your “My Livestreams” section on your dashboard and seller page on the app. You can bring the stream back onto your page to be started again by going to “Seller Dashboard”, selecting the stream, and clicking the “Restart Live Stream” button. This will send the stream back into the “My Livestreams” section to start it again, under the right conditions. Streams are only eligible to be restarted if they were started in “Test Mode” initially.
Please note - OBS is a 3rd party software. We cannot offer support for issues specific to the OBS application - or anything other than Whatnot software
For advanced OBS tips and tricks, follow the #web-stream-obs-help channel in our Seller Discord. If you are having any issues related to the Whatnot app or website please click here to contact our Seller Support team.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Raiding Another Livestream
- Restarting a Livestream
- PSA Grading Overview
- Using Two Devices While Live
- Choosing Quantities when adding a New Listing
- Banning a User from a Livestream
- Starting an Auction during a Livestream
- Adding Items to Sell in a Livestream
- Scheduling a Live Show
- Clipping a Livestream
Please sign in to leave a comment.