How We Enforce Policy
We take actions based on the severity, frequency, and type of violations. We’ve preplanned these actions based on our community guidelines to make sure they’re enforced consistently across all users.
For nearly all types of policy violations, we will be issuing one of the following:
- Warning - Generally for the first offense, we’ll send a warning notifying you of the violation and the associated details.
- Suspension: Repeated offenses or severe violations will lead to a suspension. For all users, it’ll last 1 week and if you’re a seller, your live access and early payout (if applicable) will also be removed for a week.
- Ban: For repeated or the most serious offenses, we will ban your account.
On the first offense, you will get a warning if you:
- Misrepresent info for an item you’re selling
- Try to game auctions or giveaways when selling
- Use inappropriate content toward other users in chats, DMs, or any other product surfaces
For repeated or severe violations, you will be suspended if you:
- Continue to make derogatory comments related to race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, etc
- Have fulfillment issues like delayed shipments, high refunds, cancelations, or low ratings.
- Promote off-platform transactions (ask a buyer or seller to pay you outside the platform)
- Share your account login details with another user (other than your employees)
You will be banned if you continue committing violations even after receiving a warning/suspension. For the most severe offenses like selling counterfeits, we may directly ban your account.
- Seller is reported/found guilty of harassment (1st violation) = Warning
- Seller is reported/found guilty of not adding floor/ceiling pricing (1st violation) = Warning
- Seller initiates 4 cancellations in a month. They have 20 orders that month, so their cancellations represent 20% of his orders (over the threshold) = Warning for the 1st violation
- 0.5% of Seller’s orders had to be refunded in a month = Warning for the 1st violation
- Seller is reported/found guilty of misrepresenting the product condition and then subsequently overinflating the pricing on a product = 1-week suspension for multiple violations
Please note that you will always have the chance to appeal any action against you. You can respond directly to the email of the violation to appeal. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will these actions be additive (ie, will a warning for troll bidding and a warning for harassment = a suspension)?
No, actions in separate violation categories (community guideline violations, gambling policy violations, etc) will be actioned separately.
Will the record of warnings or suspensions expire at any point?
Low-severity actions will expire from a user's record over time
If a seller violates a policy on another platform other than Whatnot, could they still be actioned on Whatnot?
If we have irrefutable evidence that you’ve knowingly sold counterfeit items, harassed other users, not honored purchases or giveaways, or defrauded customers in any way off-platform, we can action on you on Whatnot per our policy. We have this policy in place so that we can action against bad actors in the hobby more broadly in order to safeguard our community here at Whatnot