Please check this page regularly for updates. We'll also be sending emails and community texts to NFT sellers, and posting regularly in the #nft-beta channel in the seller discord.
Sellers can now sell NFTs on Whatnot livestreams, subject to approval.
We currently support selected collections on the ETH and WAX blockchains, and we plan to support many more blockchains and collections over time.
Please note that our NFT experience is currently in beta. We're constantly building and improving our functionality in this space. Features are subject to change, and you may run into some bugs or rough edges.
How can I get approved to sell NFTs on Whatnot?
As of 4/22/22, we're opening up NFT selling to all current Whatnot live sellers! Would love for everyone that sells on Whatnot to give it a try (no shipping or packing is a pretty nice perk).
If you are not currently a live seller, but are interested in selling NFTs here, please feel free to apply via this quick form.
How do NFTs work on Whatnot?
We want to make NFT buying and selling as easy as possible. We also want to create a great experience for both sellers and buyers involved.
We currently use a 'custodial wallet' model for NFTs. Think of us as an exchange that's helping facilitate the sale.
The NFT flow generally works like this:
- A seller transfers an NFT on the blockchain to our custodial wallet
- We import the asset into our system, and place it inside the seller's "gallery"
- The seller can then show and sell the asset on a livestream directly to a buyer (in a live auction or via buy-it-now)
- Buyers pay for the NFTs in USD. Buying an NFT on Whatnot is essentially as easy as buying a physical item, and no knowledge of crypto, web3, wallets, etc is required.
- After a purchase, the asset is directly transferred to the buyer's "gallery,"
- A buyer can then hold the asset, resell it on Whatnot, or export it back out to their own wallet on the blockchain
Another important note - all NFT selling and buying needs to be done in the web browser rather than in the mobile iOS and Android apps.
As a result, if someone joins your NFT live from one of the apps, they'll automatically be redirected to the web browser.
How to import NFTs into Whatnot
WAX NFTs from supported collections (if you send something not supported, it will not be imported into Whatnot) can be brought into your Whatnot account by following these steps:
2. Transfer your assets to the WAX account nfttowhatnot and include your Whatnot username in the memo:
IMPORTANT - Be sure to get your whatnot username exactly correct, or your import will not work automatically
3. Wait roughly ~10 minutes, and you should see your assets in your web gallery
4. You'll then be able to sell these assets in a livestream
Set up an NFT livestream
1. Create a livestream like any other (either in the app or on the web)
2. Put "NFT" or "NFTs" somewhere in the title of your live (this will ensure that the show is auto-tagged with the #NFT category)
3. Choose a second relevant category for your show. For example, if you're selling Funko NFTs, you may want to select the #Funko category
Your show will be dual-listed in both #NFTs and whatever other category you select, which will help you get additional exposure.
Add NFTs to your livestream
You need to add NFTs to your live on the web.
IMPORTANT: Ensure you aren't in vacation mode on Whatnot when selling NFTs in a live. If you are, all orders for your NFTs will fail.
1. Once your show is created, you can go to https://whatnot.com/account/lives
2. Find your livestream, click "Open Stream"
3. Click 'Add Product'
4. Click 'Select NFTs'
5. Choose the NFTs you'd like to sell, and then click the '+' icon in the corner. Accept the confirmation, and you'll have the items available in your live.
6. You can now run these NFTs in auctions or sell them in buy it now like other products. You'll also see on web that the NFT asset is shown in the corner
Running an NFT livestream
Some tips for NFT livestreams:
1. Expect to do some education of your audience around both NFTs, and how NFTs work on Whatnot
2. You can use your phone as your camera/mic for the live, but we recommend having your live open in a browser on a computer too so you can see what your audience sees (with the NFT preview), and to be able to add more NFTs and manage them.
3. Using OBS to show more project details, or other related data, from your computer can help with your show as well.
(more tips coming soon)
Transfer between users
You can send NFTs to other Whatnot users via your gallery
NFT repacks (alpha)
We have a brand new feature where sellers can take a collection of NFTs and put them into blind box style mystery packs. They can then sell and rip those packs live, creating a super exciting experience for everyone.
Our system will also handle automatically communicating floor, average, and ceiling prices for a box of packs.
This feature is in an 'alpha' state, so consider it even more experimental than the NFT functionality as a whole. That being said, several sellers are trying this out early on and having great results. Please send reports of any questions or issues related to this to firstname.lastname@example.org or come chat with us in the seller discord in #nft-beta
To use this functionality, go to your gallery on web (https://whatnot.com/account/gallery).
Click the 'create repacks' button at the top of the page to start the experience.
On the next page, you can begin choosing NFTs to put into packs. When done, click 'create packs.'
Notes (please read all of these before starting):
1. At the moment packs always contain 5 NFTs
2. You need to create a group of at least 5 packs at a time, which means you'll need a minimum of 25 NFTs to create some packs
3. You CAN, however, create more than 5 packs in one go, simply keep selecting more NFTs after you get to 25
4. The order you choose NFTs matters. The first 5 you choose will go into a pack, the second 5 you choose will go into a second pack, and so on. The packs will then be randomized so you won't know which is which.
5. You can change the title of your repack set at the top of the page
Once you've made some packs, you can add them to a livestream just like any other NFT, and auction them or sell as buy it now.
You can rip a pack immediately after a sale (you'll see a button to do so), or, you can sell all of the packs and then go to the 'sold' tap to rip each afterwards.
Packs currently must be ripped during the live they're sold.
There's not currently any way to open a pack other than selling and ripping during a live
Please reach out to us at email@example.com or #nft-beta in discord if you have any questions or run into any issues!
Currently NFTs are subject to a 2.5% commission rate on Whatnot, plus royalties due to NFT creators. Typically the total take rate will be 10.5%.
Supported WAX collections
Interested in selling a WAX collection not listed here?
Email us the details at firstname.lastname@example.org